« Home | Poignant song » | My Medication Experiences » | Some more history » | heeeey » | Intro » 

Saturday, March 04, 2006 

On being manic....

Before I got diagnosed (having no information about Bipolar Disorder at all) I used to define my manic episodes as "being in a really good mood." And I was. I was happy, elated, had tons of energy... when these episodes would occur I would get SO MUCH DONE. I'd paint the whole house (indoors, not out, lol)... rearrange all the furniture... detail the car with ridiculous attention to detail...

I must admit, I *liked* being like that. I like the energy, the euphoria. The amount of stuff I get done is great. But the bad part of it is that I spend too much money... I can go from euphoric to enraged in a heartbeat...

Too bad we can't pick and choose our symptoms, eh?

I've noticed that even stable on meds, sometimes I can sort of "push myself into" hypomanic episodes. Well, that sounds like it's deliberate, but it is not. For example, my boyfriend and I decided to move in together. I hadn't paid my storage unit in a while and it was overlocked, and I was anxious to start the move. So when I paid the storage and could get in there, I was sooo excited it was crazy. I couldn't wait to pack stuff up and take it to his house. He couldn't understand my excitement. And I was so tunnel-visioned about getting it done that it didn't matter to me in the slightest that it was raining. My poor boyfriend just endured.

Later after I had "come down" I realized the state I had been in. He didn't know me pre-meds and it was the first time he'd seen me like that. So I told him that if I get like that again, that he should gently remind me that I'm being overzealous or whatever. It hasn't happened again yet so I don't know if that will work.

But I sure did get a lot moved and put away that day. LOL

About me

  • I'm Carolyn a/k/a DramaPrincess a/k/a
    Philly Girl In Missouri
  • I live in Farm Country in Missouri
  • MySpace

Subscribe To My Blog