« Home | Better... for the moment » | Self-induced (hypo)mania? » | Slightly better » | Ugh - manic again » | Another update » | Time for another update » | It's been a while! » | Undecided » | Still manic » | Saw the psychologist last night » 

Saturday, October 07, 2006 

New health problems into the mix

I am so tired of all these medical problems. I have felt like utter crap for about a month and been really tired, and I was blaming it on post-mania. Some of the time I knew I was manic because I had other symptoms, but other times I was like, "Hmmm.. I didn't have any other symptoms."

I made a connection recently that when I eat a lot of carbs I feel really awful afterwards. So I went to the doctor and she did some blood tests. My fasting and 3 month average blood sugar came out normal but my thyroid didn't. The level of TSH should be less than 4.5 and I'm 6.75, and my thyroid seems to be enlarged. I get an ultrasound on Wed. for that. My mother and father are/were diabetic as were both of my grandmothers. My older sister has Insulin Resistance. So on Wed. I am also doing a 3 hour glucola resistance test. They will take my fasting blood sugar then I have to drink an icky syrupy full-of-sugar concotion, then they take my blood again at intervals over a 3 hour period. I think this will show what's truly going on, because it's after I eat carbs that I feel crappy.

The thyroid med should kick in in about a week. Then I go in a month to get my levels drawn again.

Ugh.